- Research & Extension
- Ecological & Environmental Landscapes
- Sustainable Food & Farming Systems
- About Us
- Undergraduate Students
- How to Apply
- Ecological & Sustainable Horticultural Production
- Ecological Landscapes & Urban Forestry
- General Horticulture (Online)
- Horticultural Research
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Therapeutic Horticulture
- Turf Management
- Viticulture & Enology
- Sustainability Double-Degree
- Minor Programs
- Accelerated Master's Platform
- Internship Requirements
- Thesis Requirements
- Graduate Students
- Horticulture Courses
- Plant Breeding & Genetics Courses
- Why Choose a Horticulture Degree?
- Current Students
- Horticulture Club
- Pi Alpha Xi
- Turf Club
- VITIS Club
- Undergraduate Students
Sample Master Gardener Exam Questions
Do you have a favorite set of exam questions that you use during Master Gardener Trainings? Please list them here, under their appropriate sub-heading. Add new subheadings, as appropriate.
1) In general, what type of veins to monocots have?
- a. parallel (correct)
- b. net veined
2) Rhizomes, corms and bulbs are all types of underground stems
- a. true (correct)
- b. false
3) Plants need to open their stomates to take in _________. However, every time they do this, they lose _______.
(carbon dioxide and water)
4) Water loss to the atmosphere from the leaves occurs primarily through
5) A perfect flower has:
- both stamens and pistils
- both petals and sepals
- only petals
- only stamens
6) The principle tissue involved in moving nutrients throughout to all parts of a plant, according to where nutrients are needed is:
7) A rhizome is:
- a short, compressed, underground stem
- an elongated horizontal tem, usually lying on the soil surface
- a slender stem running below the soil surface, with elongated internodes
Compost, Fertilizers, Soils
1) Macropores contribute to the (permeability/water-holding capacity) of a soil.
2) Micropores contribute to the (permeability/water-holding capacity) of a soil.
3) Soils that have a high clay content have:
- low permeability/low water holding capacity
- low permeability/high water holding capacity
- high permeability/low water holding capacity
- high permeability/high water holding capacity
4) Acidic soils can be neutralized via the addition of:
- elemental sulfur
- ammonium sulfate
- dolomitic lime
5) Name two advantages of hot composting, over cold composting.
6) What is the minimum recommended height of a compost pile?
7) Layering of materials is the best way to build an effective compost pile. True or False
1) Knowing the mouthparts of different insects can help you determine which insect has been feedin gon your plants. Which of the following insect groups has chewing mouthparts?
2) Insects that undergo complete metamorphosis look very different as juveniles, versus when they are adults. This could challenge your ability to identify an insect. Which of the following insects undergoes complete metamorphosis?
3) In plant clinic, you recieve an insect that looks like a caterpillar. What would this insect grow up to be, when it molts into an adult?
4) In plant clinic, you recieve an insect that looks like a maggot. What would this insect grow up to be, when it molts into an adult?
1) What is the active ingredient of most rooting compounds in which cuttings are dipped during vegetative propagation?
2) Name 4 factors that affect plant germination.
3) All seeds require light to germinate. True or False
4) What is the proper method to store plant and vegetable seeds that have been purchased well before planting dates?
5) The ideal time to transplant seedlings to larger pots is when they are small and there is little danger of setback. What is the primary indicator of this stage of growth?
1) What is meant by apical dominance?
2) Briefly describe the two types of pruning cuts and the purpose of each.
1) For a plant with the scientific name of Acer rubrum cv. Red Sunset, "Red Sunset" is the _______ name.
2) What is meant by the term 'day neutral plant'? Name two palnts that fit this desription.
1) List four nonchemical methods which can be used to control lawn weeds.
2) True or False. Dandelion killers containing 2,4-D shold be applied to a lawn in July.
3) Why is over seeding a lawn sometimes recommended?