Report to the Oregon Processed Vegetable Commission
OSU Dept of Horticulture
OSU Dept of Food Science and Technology
- Evaluate cytoplasmic male sterility (CMS) as a method for producing F1 hybrid seed.
- Develop broccoli varieties adapted to western Oregon with the following attributes:
- Relatively tall plants with exserted heads for easy mechanical harvest.
- Large openly branched heads with heavy, clean stem for easy trimming and separation into spears and chunks.
- Medium fine, firm, uniform florets of good color and short pedicels, and which are retained after freezing.
- Early to midseason maturity, concentrated yield potential.
- Head rot, clubroot and downy mildew resistance.